The 'Green Magic' of the Games
A zero-waste event in the making
SITUATION: 8,500 tons of solid waste
- London 2012 Olympic Games
- 11 million people in attendance
- London Organizing Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games (LOCOG), commit to making 2012 the very first ‘zero-waste’ Olympic and Paralympic Games, with sustainability at the heart of their vision.
SOLUTION: Compostable foodserviceware / Comprehensive waste stream management
- 120 million pieces of packaging
- 14.3 million Ingeo lined paper cups
- 7.5 million heat resistance Ingeo lids
- All responsibly made
- All responsibly disposed of
- Closed loop system, diverting all from landfill
- Support LOCOG in their vision to host the world’s first truly sustainable Olympic and Paralympic Games, leaving a legacy far beyond the departure of the Olympic Flame.
- Reuse, recycle or compost over 90% of Games waste.
|Energy Recovery (tonnes):
|% of total waste re-used
recycled and composted:
|% of total waste
diverted from landfill:
Worked with suppliers to bring in the best products to meet LOCOG's requirements
- CountryStyle Group
- NatureWorks LLC
- Sita UK
INGEO ROLE IN MEETING STRATEGIC OBJECTIVE
Provided a solution to meet LOCOG's specification of compostable heat resistant hot cup lids (CPLA) & Ingeo lined hot cups.
- Ingeo-based food serviceware and packaging products
- Ingenious materials from plants not oil
- 100% annually renewable product
- USDA BioPreferred and Biodegradable Products Institute (BPI) certified compostable
- Continue the sustainability legacy of the Olympic Games by working with key partners noting recognizable waste stream logos (labeling and identification) to insure overall success.
- Build new and strengthen existing partnerships with those involved in the Games Collaborate on sustainable events to promote the work at the Games and legacy post Games.